Sunday, September 20, 2009

The Great LaVell Edwards

Ok, so if you don't know who this is, then you are not a true BYU fan. I have to tell you, I married into a family that LOVES BYU. And for a very good reason. Chris Apsotol was a coach along side LaVell Edwards many years ago. Chris is Eric's grandfather. Chris has since passed away, but he left not only a legacy of football passion, but so much more. The Apostols and Edwards were great friends. I obviously married into this information, but what a pleasure it was to see the look on Mr. Edwards face when I asked him about Mr. Chris Apostol. Let me start from the beginning. Eric was in the hot dog line, and I wanted a taco, so off I went through the thick crowd. On my way back, with nachos and tacos in hand, I glanced up to see the best possible route through the sea of people as to not spill salsa and such all over me. As I looked up, I saw Lavell himself standing a few feet in front of me. I could tell he was gazing down as to not draw alot of attention to himself. I patted his shoulder as be brushed passed me, and then thought to myself.......If I don't snatch a picture of this man, Eric may just disown me. Trying to juggle my food on one hand, I managed to dig the camera out of my pocket and turn around quickly to stop LaVell before he got too far in the crowd. I tapped him on the shoulder, and asked with the sweet voice if I could get his picture. By this point, several others had spotted him, and camera's started flashing all around. After the picture I leaned in and said......."Did you know Chris Apostol?" His eyes lit up, and it was as if he had all the time in world to stop and talk about this great man. I told him I had married his grandson. He wanted to know more specifically who, and I remember thinking.......are you really going to know who I'm talking about? The truth is, he did. Kristine (Chris's daughter and my mother in law, used to babysit for him all the time.) He was pleased to hear that the family is doing well, and thanked me for stopping him and saying hi. I thought I was the lucky one, but what an honor to see that this man, whose stadium I was standing in, took the time to express how he appreciated me stopping him to reflect on a dear friend, father, brother, & grandpa. I didn't know Grandpa Chris very well. He passed about 16 months after I married Eric, but I felt like I got to know him a bit better through the eyes of LaVell. Even though the Cougars suffered a devastating loss, I considered this rare encounter with Mr. Edwards to be the highlight of the evening for me. Not to mention, I won brownie points with the husband for #1 spotting LaVell, #2 taking his picture, #3 mentioning Eric's Grandpa. What a night!!
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Ashley Mullen said...

Rise and Shout!!!! BYU all the way baby! I LOVE LaVell!!! Awesome Guy, and that is sooooo cool! You look beautiful by the way!

Susannah said...

How awesome is that! You are so....lucky! His daughter was actually in mine and Jeremy's ward while we lived int the Avenues for a few years. Her husband was our bishop at the time and they were such a fun family. I have to admit, I am a little jealous you got to meet him. Way cool!

Chelsea said...

What a cool story! You guys really are practically famous through association!

amelia said...

sweet story! he seems like such a nice guy!
oh, i'm so excited to vote for crew!!! he's the cutest boy ever!!!

oh, btw, the little lamb you brought sabrina clear back when she had her head surgery is her FAVORITE! she sleeps with her every night :)

love ya!